Friday, October 30, 2009

When I moved to Texas almost 9 years ago, I spent the first few years wondering if I would ever meet true friends here.  I've been blessed enough to say that I did find them.  There are only a few that have withstood the tests of family, time, jobs etc...

To my firecracker. If you were a firecracker you would be bright and colorful and beautiful, but you would also have an exact plan of how you wanted to be shot into the sky, you know, like what time it would be, how the design would be planned, what colors you want to go off when :) You are adventerous and cautious and brave. You take the responsibility of being both Mom and Dad and you do it well. You manage responsibility and fun with a fine tooth comb, riding your motorcycle (Yikes!). I love how you take time out of your busy schedule to spend one on one time with Blake, you dont' know how sweet that is to me. I love calling you after a terrible shift at work and knowing you can completely get what I'm saying. I know I can vent any frustration to you and you will give me an honest but delicate answer and advice. You are one of those people that no one can forget, I remember meeting you, the first day of nursing school and knowing somewhere deep down we would always be friends. You know how to ask the tough questions and how to always make me laugh (air guitar to "Cheap Seats" is forever in my memories!)  A perfect day would be lots of takeout, me, you and a Gilmore Girls marathon :) I'm so lucky to have you .

To my strong and steady.  I was talking to Nick the other day trying to figure out how long we've been friends.  I remember meeting you at church years and years ago at a time when I really needed a friend, and you were that friend for me.  Ours is a friendship of stamina and grace.  We brought our little girls into the world so closely together and their friendship makes me so incredibly happy.  I love talking about reality TV and our favorite books and going to see movies together.  You are the friend I've reached out to when I didn't think I could physically say the words I was feeling. You are the best listener I know.  I love how I can just see you thinking about what you want to say and how best to say it.  We've spent holidays and birthdays and such sweet time together. I'm so lucky to have you.
 
To my wildflower.  A wildflower because you are beautiful and delicate, but can withstand storms that you never knew you could.  Looking back I think it would be easy to assume you would crumble with some of the struggles life has brought you and your family, but look, here you are, still strong and still standing.  You are my instant go to for Mommy advice.  You have listenened to me whine and whine and I always feel better after our long phone conversations.  We both know what it's like to miss our family and wish we could have our parents phsysically closer, but I thank God I have you close by to rely on and look to.  You are the one I would call if I was having a freak out at two in the morning.  I know you wouldn't mind!  You help me feel good about myself and about other people in general, what a gift that is!  You are creative and generous.  I'm so lucky to have you.

4 comments:

Jennie said...

Okay, so I just burst out in tears...and you know me, I am NOT a crier. That is probably one of the sweetest things anyone has ever said about me. So, here is what I would write about you...

To my older, younger sister, we have known each other for six years. You are family, the kind that can be disappointed in me and still find the grace to love me. I have loved embarking on the journey of motherhood with you, and have felt a mixture of emotions not being able to do the exact same with our second born. It also melts my heart to see our girls play together and hear their sweet excited cries of "Wane" and "Bake" when they see each other. As a friend you make me a much gentler person. You lift me up, make me laugh, and encourage me more than you know. I don't know what I would do without you!

Sarah Lou said...

Thanks Jennie! I meant every word I said.

emily anna said...

Sarah, Thank you. Of course you know I cried when I read that. You are so treasured. I am so very, very thankful for you.
Love you.

Jodi said...

I didn't cry when I read it :)but you know how much I love you and am so very proud to call you my best friend!!!!