Friday, April 16, 2010

Kate's Arrival!!

My doctor had "warned" me that Kate would probably not make it to 40 weeks.  I was pretty excited that she may come early, but as the time passed I started to become skeptical and expected to have to wait the full 40 weeks.  We had my Mom and Aunt come one weekend, they really wanted me to go into labor while they were here, but nothing.  The next weekend my Mom and Step-dad came to visit.  We were all hoping she would come while they were here to visit.  I had been scheduled to work Sunday March 28th, but was feeling really sick.  I went to the doctor the day before and got diagnosed with bronchitis.  I called and told work I would not make it in and stayed home with my family.  

That Sunday night we rented a movie and hung out.  I was feeling lousy, coughing all the time.  We went to bed and around 4:00 a.m. I woke up having contractions.  I'm always the skeptic, so I thought they would pass...but a few contractions later I decided to start timing them.  They were already 4 - 5 minutes apart.  So I told Nick I thought I was in labor and I went to take a shower (tip:  if you can grab a shower BEFORE going to the hospital it's always a plus!)  I then woke up my Mom and told her we were going to the hospital. She was sooo excited.  She didn't get to be here when Blake was born so she was really hoping to be in town with Kate.  It felt like it was taking Nick forever to get ready, and the pain was getting stronger.  We loaded up in the car (ironically enough we forgot ALL our bags) and went to Harris.  I was SO thankful my stepdad was here (and later Baus came and stayed ALL DAY) to keep Blake so we didn't have to pack her up at 6:00 in the morning and take her to someone elses house. I was dilated to 4.5 when I got checked.  I was so glad it wasn't false labor and to know that Kate would be here soon!  

We got in a room around 7:30 and made texts/phone calls to let everyone know what was going on.  Jodi and Lindsay came to the hospital as soon as they could to sit with us.  I got my epidural around 9:30 and it was glorious.  It worked it's magic and I had NO PAIN whatsoever. I decided to have Nick and my Mom in the delivery room, it was so special to have my Mom there.  When I had my final "check" before pushing the nurse and doctor were concerned that Kate was breach, so they had to do a sonogram at the bedside.  We were praying so hard that she wasn't, because that would mean a C-section.  After lots of "checking" and "rechecking" they decided she was in the correct position, just "face up".  After pushing about 25 minutes Kathryn Bailey was born March 29, 2010 at 1:01 p.m.  She weighed 7lb 7oz and was 20 inches long.  The first words out of my mouth were "She looks like Blake!!" and she truly did.  She was beautiful and healthy and all we had prayed for.

Here is me after my epidural!

Blake came around 5:00 pm to meet her new baby sister.  She was sooo excited.  She knew exactly who Kate was and just wanted to kiss and hug and hold her all the could.  

Here is my first picture with Blake and Kate:

Kate's sweet hat made by a nurse in L & D

Snuggling before we all went home.

My hospital experience was good.  Poor Nick had a fever the day Kate was born, so he couldn't stay overnight with us.  Mom stayed with me and Nick went home to be with Blake.  

Here are a few shots of our first minutes at home

We praise God for you Baby Kate.  You are a blessing to our family.

2 comments:

Jodi said...

I have a picture of Blake in that red striped outfit at the hosptial! Glad you are back blogging. I've missed you!

Jennie said...

Yea "the arrival." Ditto to Jodi's comment.