Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Life Questions

Dear Blake,

Today you asked me a tough question.  It seemed easy enough when you asked it, but as a few minutes passed it made me contemplate a few things. 

You asked me "Do bad people get to go to heaven?" 

My knee-jerk reaction was, "No, sweetheart they don't."

But then a few minutes passed and I caught myself.  I tried explaining this concept to you, but I could tell it didn't sink it...so I wanted to write it out so that someday you can look back on it. 

What we believe is that we are going to be in heaven some day only because of what Jesus did for us on the cross.  The Bible says that we (me especially) would ever be able to stand in the "GOOD" category without the blood of Jesus.  Without Him standing in my place and saying to God, "Wait, don't look at all she's done wrong, look at what I did for her on the cross!  I will stand in her place, I paid for all her sin!"   {for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, 24 and all are justified freely by his grace through the redemption that came by Christ Jesus. Romans 3:23}

There is only one that lived a "Good" life, a perfect life, and that is Jesus.   So my answer now to you is:  There are lots of bad people in heaven....but they looked to Jesus and accepted his free gift of salvation and even though they did nothing to deserve it they will get to spend an eternity with God.  Just like you and me, there is nothing we can do to be good enough for God's presence.  And yes there are "bad" people.   Those that hurt, threaten, bully.  But the truth is that there is nothing so bad that God can't forgive us and welcome us into his family, and into heaven someday, if we accept Jesus as our perfection. 

The key to how we live our life now is this....because of what Jesus did, because of his great love, we live our lives wanting to show him how thankful we are for what he did.  How could we do less? 

God uses you little one, more than you know, to make me remember these things. 
Love,
Mommy

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sarah, I love this. Blake and Kate are so blessed to have you as a mom.

EICAR said...

Awesome answer. Good Mother's are a rarity in this era.