Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Memories

I have lots of things I should be doing.  Laundry, packing, cleaning, etc.  But instead I want to share some of the memories of my PaPaw that have come to mind over the last 12 hours.  

My sweet PaPaw went to be with Jesus last night around 10:30 p.m.  He had been sick for a very long time and I know he is feeling soooo good right now up there in heaven.  It's always hard to lose someone you love, but that God we have a peace for those that know Him.

  • When I was about 6 years old I remember someone telling me you had to have  drivers liscense to drive. So later I was out with my PaPaw and he was driving and I said "Papaw I heard you have to have a drivers liscence to drive, do you have one?"  He smiled and told me "No, I'm a Papaw and Papaw's don't have to have drivers liscence."  And that's excactly what I thought of him, so big and strong that no one would dare enforce such a rule on him.  
  • I remember going out with him to milk the cows (he was a dairy farmer) and how funny it was the way he called the cows in to be milked.  They had names like "Big Mama" and "Bessy".   
  • I remember him letting me bottle feed the new calfs.
  • I remember him letting ME drive his truck down an old dirt road, WAY before I should have been behind the wheel
  • I remember him slipping me a $20 bill about once a week and telling me not to tell anyone, that it was "coke money".  Like I could ever spend $20 a week on cokes :)
  • I remember he had this big container of change and I would sit in his living room counting that change just for fun.
  • I remember him paying me a quarter to water his flowers :)
  • I remember when my hand was so small I would hold just his pinky while we were walking.
  • I remember his blue eyes looking deep into mine the last few times I saw him and he would tear up and I would tear up and he would tell me how much he loved me.
  • I remember him joking that he was "having a baby" because his belly was so round.
  • Of all the time I spent with him as a little girl, I don't remember ever getting in trouble, not once.

These memories keep coming to my mind, and I hope they keep coming.  

5 comments:

Jodi said...

Your hair was so long and blonde!! I love you and I'm glad you have those memories of your grandpa. He sounded like a neat man!

Jennie said...

Thanks for sharing your memories. My grandpa died when I was 9 years old, but I still miss him and remember at the funniest moments. Memories are great that way. I am sorry for your hurt and sadness, but rejoicing in his great home-coming with Jesus.

Unknown said...

So sweet, Sarah. Thank you for sharing your heart with us. I'm sure it is bitter sweet to funnel back through all of those memories!

Ree said...

Beautiful memories! ...till you meet again...

emily anna said...

Thanks Sarah. I loved reading those, and at the same time I found myself having similar memories of my Grandpa. Tonight I told Claire that your Grandpa went to live with Jesus and she was very sad for you. Later she came running to me and said... "Don't worry Mom, Sarah's Grandpa will be safe! He is going to live with Jesus and Opa" (my GP!)!!!
We love you, and will be praying for you.
Love, J,E, C and L