Tuesday, February 9, 2010

My Latest Read..




For Christmas I received the complete novels of Jane Austen (thanks, Linz!) and decided to tackle Sense and Sensibility first.  I love reading classics, they always speak to me so much more than the quick/easy novels I usually go for.  I admit it took me 6 weeks to get through it, not that I didn't love the story, I did.  It is just a very wordy book and there is very little that will keep me up past 9:30 these days.  I also had to rent the movie about half way through, just to be sure I really understood what was going on.  I wasn't as lost as I thought and really enjoyed the movie.  

Anyway, all that to say...there was a line toward the end of the book that really spoke to me.  You'd have to know me pretty well and also have just read the book yourself to understand why but nonetheless, here it is:

"But though Mrs Ferrars did come to see them, and always treated them with the make-believe of decent affection, they were never insulted by her real favour and preference."    

I. love. Elinor.   She has so much poise and control over herself in difficult situations, along with a confidence that comes from being rooted in her morals and family. I really look up to her.  I hope I look back on this post in a few years and smile, remembering the peace that Jane Austen showed me through Elinor.  

1 comments:

Jennie said...

I know exactly what you mean Sarah. I love JA too. :-)