Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Tips and Tricks

I good friend has been doing a series of "Tips and Tricks" on her blog so I thought I would add what few tips I have :)  While getting my hair done the other day my hairdresser, who has a 10 month old was asking for a few tips, and believe it or not I had a little advice to give!!  I know I would never be accused of having it all together, I can completely relate to Ann Voskamp's words "I'm a mess."  Really I am.  It is only the Lord's work in me that has made what humble progress there has been in my role as a Mom these last 4 years. 

SO.  Here are a few tips.

  Grocery shopping torture
              Any sort of grocery store trip with little ones can make my heart rate raise by atleast 20 beats per minute.  Nothing says "failing mom" like your kids throwing a fit for all to see in the store.  I remember coming home once and calling Nick crying after one such trip.  I would joke "No need to buy a movie ticket, the Barkers put on a great show at Target today." SO, I've had my moments to say the least. I remember once when Blake was about 18 months old I let her hold a packet of Taco seasoning while I was loading the groceries on the conveyor....she proceded to rip it open and it went everywhere.  Our cashier had some sort of allergic reaction  (coughing, sneezing, etc) and had to have someone else check us out.  I'm getting anxious just typing about it. I know a lot of people go by the rule to go alone when your husband or someone else can watch your kids...but for me, I'm not motivated at all to do an hour long grocery run at 9:30 at night.  So, if you must take the little joys along, here are a few tips I use to make it doable.


1. PARK NEAR THE CART CORRAL!!  Forget the days of grabbing the closest parking spot.  It is no longer your friend.  Find the closest spot you can to a cart corral.  That way you can load the kids directly into the cart.

2.  The rule of no bribing is thrown out the window in the grocery store.  Feel free to bribe.  Suckers (when old enough) fruit snacks, but try to choose something that will take a little time to get down.

3.  Try to shop at a store with kid carts.  You know, these MASSIVE ones with little cars in the front.  This is helpful for me because A. They can both be buckled in. B. They aren't facing you so they aren't constantly wanting your attention or wanting to be held.  Kroger often has these carts.  Even if the store is a little more expensive, it is worth it to me because my kids behave at least 50% better with kid carts.

4. ALWAYS BUCKLE THEM IN!  At the pediatrician the other day he mentioned that the majority of kids coming in with trauma are from falling off or out of the grocery cart.  SCARY!!  

5.  Keep a few quarters...for the little -no- fun- at- all- firetruck outside the store that costs $1.00 to slowly rock back and forth for 30 seconds.  We ride this if Blake has had good behavior while shopping and checking out. (Refer to rule #2)

6.  Try to keep calm.  They will have fits. At times they will cry. (Mostly likely while you are checking out) And at some point they will 100% certainly embaress you and make you look like a terrible terrible Mom :)  Take a deep breath.  Act like it does not bother you in the slightest, and do your best to get you all out of the store in one piece. 

**Sidenote, if your children are being little angels and you see a Mom going through a melt down, as you are walking by you could say "I've been there!!"  This atleast lets them know someone in the store feels their pain. Someone relates to the torture they are experiencing.  Trust me, it will make them feel at least a little better.****

7.  To load the car, load the kids first, then the groceries.  Then take the cart back!  Nothing says rude like leaving your cart in the middle of the parking lot.  Remember, you parked closely to the corral so you don't have to walk far from your kids. 



1 comments:

Jennie said...

Great tips Sarah! I use the park by the cart corral rule too.